The Educational Service Center of Central Ohio currently has a contract with the Ohio Department of Education to be a sponsor of community schools in the state of Ohio. The ESC of Central Ohio was also one of only five sponsors in the state of Ohio to receive an Effective Sponsor rating for the 2015-2016 school year.
Although we are not currently accepting applications regarding the sponsorship of new schools, helpful information has been listed below, as well as contact information, should you have questions about receiving technical assistance and support services from the ESC of Central Ohio. If anything changes related to accepting new applicants, that information will be added to this page.
See Applicant Update for latest information. The application window has closed.
The Community School Department has a mission is to monitor each of its community schools though quality sponsorship for the benefit of the students in each of the sponsored schools. Although sponsoring is a small part of the ESC’s portfolio, it is dedicated to best practices for effective school choice options for parents, as supported by the National Association of Charter School Authorizers (NACSA) and has the following goals*:
- Education: To monitor and assess the goals of the Education Plan of the sponsorship agreement, aligning them with the Assessment and Accountability Plan.
- Governance: To monitor and assist with governance compliance.
- Finance: To monitor and provide feedback for fiscal viability and sustainability, providing intervention if needed.
- Accountability: To monitor and evaluate legal compliance as well as areas of the contract.
- Technical Assistance: To provide technical assistance in all aspects of successful school programming.
* Intervention provided in any goal area when needed.