src="" />

Substituting with the ESC of Central Ohio

Thank you for your interest in the ESC-COG substitute consortium. Our organization serves as the employer for substitute employees in 26 central Ohio school districts.

Select New or Prospective to apply to become a new substitute employee, or Active to complete the annual process of reactivating your file.

If you are a new applicant, or have been inactive as a substitute for more than one year, click on the New or Prospective to begin the process or read how to become a substitute.

Please scroll down to access all available resources. 

Check out the Spring 2017 Newsletter

Access the Substitute Handbook >>

What is your current substitute status?

New or Prospective


How do I become a Substitute Teacher?

To complete the employment as an ESC-COG substitute you must:

  1. Register and attend a substitute onboarding/orientation through the ESC of Central Ohio. (If you are a retired teacher that used Frontline Education’s Absence Management app, formerly Aesop, for absences in your district or you are applying for a non-teaching substitute position you may select waive the orientation)
  2. Complete the online application, Job ID 7857
  3. Complete the new hire forms (once your application is received the forms will be sent electronically)
  4. Provide a valid substitute license OR Ohio teaching license  OR Educational Aide Permit issued by the Ohio Department of Education (ODE). Note  licensure is based upon the substitute position you are applying for.
  5. Attach a copy of your  FBI and BCI background check results which have been completed within the last 12 months (the ESC does provide this service for a fee, see more on fingerprinting below.)

After you have read all the instructions from the substitute page of the ESC of Central Ohio website, if you have any additional questions, contact the substitute department at

Once application has been submitted don’t forget to visit the orientation registration webpage to register for substitute orientation if you are applying to substitute teach.

Download this flyer to keep on hand for reference.

Do I have to attend a substitute onboarding/orientation if I am an experienced teacher and/or substitute?

Attending onboarding/orientation is a requirement for anyone interested in substituting for the ESC-COG. 

If you are a retired teacher and worked in a district that used Frontline Education’s Absence Management app, formerly Aesop, or you are applying for a non-teaching substitute position you may waive the onboarding/orientation requirement. Please note the orientation presentation is posted on our web site for review.

How do I register for substitute onboarding/orientation?

To register for an onboarding/orientation, please visit Onboarding/Orientation Registration to view upcoming orientation dates.

What level of education is needed to substitute teach?

You must hold a four-year (bachelor) degree to substitute teach. You do not need to have a degree in education, however.

What is required to work as a substitute aide?

You must have a high school diploma or GED in order to obtain your educational aide permit from ODE and work as a substitute aide. If you would like to work as a substitute in schools that maintain a health clinic you will also need to complete an online course that we provide in the administration of student medication (M-376).

Do I need to complete the aide permit application if I am a substitute teacher?

No. The substitute teacher license supersedes the aide permit.

Do I need to apply for a substitute teacher license if I am already a licensed teacher in Ohio?

As long as your teaching credentials are valid for the current school year, there is no need to apply for  separate long or short term substitute teacher license. Your valid teaching credential supersedes the substitute teacher license.

If I have a teaching license (or a long or short term substitute teacher license), must I submit official transcripts to the ESC-COG?

ODE will require official transcripts to be sent directly to them. As a substitute, you may scan and attach your transcripts to your online application, but at this time it is not required.

Where do I get fingerprinted?

You may be fingerprinted at our offices during walk-in hours or immediately following the substitute onboarding/orientation.  

Central Office hours:

  • Mondays: 8:30-11:30 a.m.
  • Wednesdays: 2-4 p.m.
  • Thursdays: 8:30-11:30 a.m. 

Northern Office hours:

  • Tuesdays: 8:00-10:00 a.m. & 2:00-3:30 p.m.
  • Wednesdays: 8:00-10:00 a.m. & 2:00-3:30 p.m.
  • Thursdays: 8:00-10:00 a.m. 

There is no need for an appointment if you come during these hours.

Is there a fee for fingerprinting?

The cost for an electronic background check is  $29 for the  BCI (Ohio) background check, $26 for the FBI (nationwide) background check and $55 if both the BCI and FBI checks are processed  payable only by credit card.

When can I expect to receive my electronic paycheck each month?

Educational Service Center of Central Ohio employees receive their paychecks on the 5th and the 20th of every month. If either pay date falls on a holiday or weekend, paychecks will be issued the previous workday. You will find the most current payroll schedule located under the Active section of the ESC-COG substitute webpages.

Where can I find information about job openings with the Educational Service Center of Central Ohio?

All job openings and information can be found on the ESC Jobs webpage here.

What do I need to do if I am changing my address or have a name change?

Please contact us at  with this information so that we may update your file.