Building Closure Support
Need support now? See how the ESC can help here.  
All in-person ESC meetings, events, and background check services are postponed or suspended through at least May 29th. Access to ESC offices is limited to essential personnel. Our staff are working remotely and are prepared to assist. Please contact us via email or phone as you normally would and we will respond as soon as possible to provide assistance. Thank you for your patience and understanding.



Do I need to attend an onboarding/orientation if I am an experienced teacher and/or substitute?
      As of June 2, 2020, our onboarding/orientation class is available online. This is required for all new substitutes and those returning to substitute after a break in service of one year or more. 
How do I register for onboarding/orientation?
      To register for an onboarding/orientation, please visit Onboarding/Orientation Registration to view upcoming orientation dates.
What level of education is needed to substitute teach?
      You must hold a four-year, Bachelor's degree to substitute teach. You do not need to have a degree in education, however.
What level of education is required to work as a substitute aide?
      You must have a high school diploma or GED in order to obtain your educational aide permit from the Ohio Department of Education and work as a substitute aide. If you would like to work as a substitute in schools that maintain a health clinic you will also need to complete an online course that we provide in the administration of student medication (M-376).
Should I complete the aide permit application if I am a substitute teacher? 
      No. The substitute teacher license supersedes the aide permit.
Do I need to apply for a substitute teacher license if I am already a licensed teacher in Ohio?
      No. As long as you have a valid Ohio teaching license you do not need to apply for a substitute teaching license.    
If I have a teaching license or a long or short term substitute teacher license, must I submit official transcripts?
      As a substitute, you may scan and attach your transcripts to your online application, but at this time it is not required. 
Where do I get fingerprinted for a background check?


      Please note our background check services have been temporarily suspended through at least May 29, 2020.  


What is the fee for fingerprinting and background checks?


      Cost for both background checks is $58. Fees are payable only by credit card.

  • BCI check (Ohio): $30
  • FBI check (national): $28


When can I expect to be paid as a substitute?


      Employees receive their pay only through direct deposit on the 5th and 20th of each month. If either paydate falls on a holiday or weekend, pay is issued the previous workday. 


How do I change my address or name?


      Please contact us at [email protected] with this information so that we may update your file. You may also update personal infromaton through the Employee Access Center. This is the same location where employee pay records may be viewed. 


 Apply Now